Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tramps Like Us: OR The Desert Island Draft Part Deux

Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only


It's the song I had in my heart before I'd ever heard it.

What red blooded american man hasn't fealt that? Hasn't wanted to make one last desperate plea for the heart of the one they want. That the new life on the road ahead just has to be better when not traveled alone?

Of course I'm sure no one elses would come out quite so eloquently.














It's been said that Bruce Springsteen wanted Born to Run to sound like Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan, produced by Phil Spector.

I don't know what that means...but this album kicks ass.

Born To Run and Thunder Road have always struck me as essentialy the same song...just played with different intent. It's all about getting out. And I'd surmise that getting out alive...meant not having to do so alone. In Thunder Road the most important thing is Mary. But in Born to Run I've kinda always fealt that getting out of New Jersey was more the point than Wendy was. It's kind of like...in Born to Run he's leaving no matter what and he's trying to sell her on it...whereas I don't think he's going anywhere if Mary doesn't climb in the car in Thunder Road...

Anyway...while the whole album is great and deserves its place on the list of all timers...for me it's all about those two songs.

So...were I stuck on said desert island...my second choice was Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

I figure I'd have a lot of time on my hands to think about what would happen if she got in that car. And whether or not I'd be able to leave without her.

P.S. As for the third selection...next time. But it had to be the man in black.

Link:

No comments: