Monday, March 24, 2008

Why A Big Suit?: OR The Desert Island Draft Part Uno

The messageboard that I have frequented for the last...I don't know...seven years (God...I really am a nerd at heart) recently started an interesting concept in the music folder. We have 17 people drafting what albums they would want if they were stranded on a desert island. There are 20 rounds and you can't take greatest hits albums. I drew #5...which was cool...but it meant having to wait until #13 in round 2...which was less cool. But then I was #5 in round 3...which was...

Anyway...

I suppose that I should have used some strategy and taken an album with my first choice that would obviously be gone by the time the draft snaked back around to me. That album is Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses. It went #6 because I passed and took my favorite album of all time...knowing full well that I could have gotten it much later in the draft.

Sometimes you just have to follow your heart.









Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads


We were allowed to pick live albums...which was all I needed to know to sign up for the draft.

Technically a movie soundtrack to the 1984 Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs) directed concert film of the same name...it truly is not just the best live album that I've ever heard...but also the best album period.

It's even kind of constructed like a movie in that the main character (here played by frontman David Byrne) undergoes a complete character progression from beginning to end. ...The band and the stage growing and changing along with him.

It all begins simply enough with Byrne coming onto an empty stage by himself and his guitar playing a reserved and slightly odd rendition of Psycho Killer. At the songs conclusion he is joined by bassist Tina Weymouth for a beautiful version of Heaven. The show continues on like this, adding a musical piece, until the stage is transformed into an all out celebration of music.

By the time the band plays Burning Down The House the stage is full of all 4 band members, backup singers, and several additional players that help infuse the whole show with a funky sound that adds to the experience and makes songs that you could have heard a thousand time sound brand new.

Byrne's once akward looking lead has transformed too...into a self assured rock icon that has been moved by the power of the music. The album has several highlights (hell...it's one big highlight) but the showstopper is the incredible performance of Take Me To The River, which serves as the end of the journey (save for one encore performance that doesn't really fit the flow at that point).

So yes...were I to somehow be stranded on a desert island...that for some odd reason has electricity and a cd player...my first choice was Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.

"Whos got a match?"

P.S. As for what I took next...well...that's a blog for another day. But here's a hint: It's lying out there like a killer in the sun

Also...links to the entire show (God bless the internet):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzEadbTCKDA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N71xjpRhqjE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MhQU3fgCMXA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L4IHaI6406w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vTnjsNTTz2Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ozc70JPGRMQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xzORu1dqEE0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YXMNpYMGyck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SAlNWxODVHE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXJgt8rLMC4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vkZHjn3A-yk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BUgKb-5u6v4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WhjZ3TGbvdM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9r7X3f2gFz4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmEBlrRRMBQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVfHj8q1tk

3 comments:

Smash said...

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run.

Also, I don't think that I could have chosen a solitary album to accompany me for the rest of my life while trapped on a desert island. Do I have something to play it in? If not, I would have to pick the CD with the craziest album art to keep me sane. Although, I'm not so sure that I would want to be sane if I was trapped no a desert island. Hmmm.. I am over-analyzing this one. :P

Bryan said...

They never actually made clear that there would be any way to listen to these albums...no.

Perhaps I should have chosen all double disc sets and built a raft.

It's like that old question of what 3 things would you take with you if you were stranded on a desert island...and everyone picks their favorite book, matches and a loved one...

When the answer is clearly a fucking boat.

Smash said...

lol you are exactly right!

a boat would definitely be my choice. OR, if the rules were that I could not bring a boat, I would bring rope, canvas, and an ax. I could cut down some freaking palm trees, tie em together, make a sail, and get the hell out of there! [or die trying]